Friday, February 19, 2016

Pirates players that'll exceed expectations in 2016

     Yesterday, I looked at how the Pirates roster will look when they break camp. Now that I did that, I'm going to look at some players on the team that I think will exceed expectations in 2016. I'll be looking at 5 in particular. 

1: Jeff Locke: Yes, I actually think Locke will exceed expectations. Ray Searage has him working on a new delivery. Most times when Searage does that, it works out. Now, Locke won't be a destroyer of worlds or anything. However, he will be a solid backend rotation guy this season. 
Prediction: 7-7 4.01 ERA

2: Jon Neise: Many people were mad when the hometown hero Neil Walker was traded for Neise. I wasn't. I actually liked it. Neise has had a solid career, even last year he was decent enough. Having him on options twice after this year is huge. I think he will prove himself in black and gold, and his contract won't be an issue. He's a solid 3 starter, which is all he needs to be. 
Prediction: 10-8 3.73 ERA

3: John Jaso: Nobody really knows what to expect out of Jaso yet with the permanent 1B switch, and his spot in the lineup is up in the air. Though, no matter what, he will put up a solid OBP number despite a low HR total. He will do enough to make a difference in the lineup
Prediction: .284 AVG .368 OBP 8 HRs 39 RBIs 

4: Eric O'Flaherty: I said yesterday that I think O'Flaherty would make the club out of spring training. I think he will have a good year, too. He was outstanding until last year. I think Ray Searage will do great work with him. He will be a staple in the bullpen.
Prediction: 4-1 2.43 ERA 

5: Gregory Polanco: Polanco had peaks and valleys in his first full year. However, overall his season was very productive. I think he will continue to improve, similarly to Marte. 2016 is a real chance for him to break out. I think his power numbers will improve slightly enough to really make a difference at the top of the order. 
Prediction: .291 16 HRs 56 RBIs 

     Those are the 5 players I think will exceed expectations in the 2016 season. On Monday, I will give my predictions on how the Pirates will do overall this upcoming season. Stay tuned for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment