Everybody knows that the Pirates should be looking for Right Field help at the deadline. In the next few weeks, the Pirates are having an open tryout to see if their answer in RF is in the organization. They haven't called it an open tryout but that's what it pretty much is. Tabata will get a bulk of the time in the next 3 weeks to show his stuff and to prove that he's the answer. He's been pretty good since his return in terms of hitting but I don't think he will sustain and he's a very risky player. Very injury prone and occasional lack of hustle. Plus he looks uncomfortable at times in the outfield. With that being said I think we have to go out and get a new RF that can produce. I'm still rooting for Tabata but I'm not sold on him as our answer. Tabata's offense has to be amazing to make up for his defense. He's so bad on defense, they replaced him on Thursday defensively for Garrett Jones. That's pretty sad. Getting replaced in the outfield on defense by a first baseman. No thanks on Tabata unless if he can put up offensive numbers like Cutch last year. If not than, no. He's too risky in my opinion. Pirates need offense but they can't risk defensive skill for it. That's why we need a dependable defensive RF that can hit. Nobody on the Pirates roster is that and neither is AAA outfielder Andrew Lambo so lets stop bringing him up. I don't think Tabata is the answer but if he can prove me wrong than I won't be the slightest bit mad. If Tabata fails his tryout, there's a few options Huntington could go with. Rios is one but his contract is not favorable for the Pirates. Michael Morse is an option I like. He's the type of slugger that would fit in great here. The most likely option would be Nate Shierholtz. He's cheap and Huntington loves cheap. Shierholtz has done great this year in limited playing time with the Cubs. He'd be a great option because he'd bring good production for a cheap price.
The other thing the Pirates may do is get a starting pitcher. The Pirates will get AJ Burnett back on Sunday which is pretty much like picking up an elite right handed pitcher and adding him to the roster. Wandy Rodriguez may be out for awhile so that means Gerrit Cole will get more time up in the majors but do we really want to depend on guys like Cole,Morton and Gomez in September? Maybe not. It never hurts to get more pitching. There's no such thing as too much pitching. Top option would be Bud Norris but there will be a pretty good pitching market this year.
The Pirates may also look to bolster their already great bullpen. Jesse Crain is a prime option but he may not be back from the DL in time for July 31st. Another option is a long shot maybe but I guy I like is former Pirate Oliver Perez. He's a good comeback story. Mariners will probably trade him. Wouldn't it be a great story if he returns to Pittsburgh where he belongs.
Then there's always the option of doing nothing. In my opinion, a contending team that does nothing is foolish. No team is ever good enough. You can always get better. If you're a contending team and don't make a trade, you're not putting the teams best interest in mind. The goal every year is World Series so why wouldn't you improve your team any way you can in order to achieve your goal. The Pirates aren't often the team with the best record in baseball. Can't squander this opportunity by watching the deadline go by and doing nothing. I'm not saying make a huge trade but one or two tweaks can and will make all the difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment