Today, Jed York announced via twitter that the 49ers have hired former Oregon and Eagles head coach Chip Kelly as their new head coach, The news came just a little bit after it was reported that the 49ers narrowed their search down to Chip Kelly and Mike Shanahan. Obviously, they decided to go with the younger and more upstart Kelly. Kelly figure to try to revamp an offense that has been near the bottom of the league more often than not in recent years. He also figures to play a big role in getting Colin Kaepernick right once again. He will reportedly not be getting personnel decisions with 49ers, but he will get to choose his coaching staff.
I like this hire because I have always liked Kelly. He is a smart coach with a burning desire to win and win at a high level. He is also eager to prove the Eagles wrong. Chip Kelly can succeed with the players that the 49ers have, especially Kaepernick. Kelly has always wanted Kap in his system. Now he finally gets his shot. We will get to see what he can do with these guys. I also fully expect the 49ers to take a WR with their first-round pick to go along with the system.
The thing I like about this hire a lot is that Chip Kelly will not have as much control as he did over in the city of brotherly love. He is going to just coach with the 49ers, which is something that both sides could agree on. Chip Kelly realizes that was his downfall in Philly, and Baalke wasn't prepared to give up any of his power, anyways. It was an idea that both sides could get behind. Honestly, letting Kelly just coach is the best that you can do because he is an awesome coach. To get Kelly to back off of a position of unlimited power (Star Wars reference alert) is huge for the 49ers.
I think Chip Kelly is in a prime position to succeed in SF. Cannot dismiss that he had two straight 10-6 seasons to start his pro career. Now, he finally has a QB that makes sense for the system he likes to run. I know games are played on the field, but I can only analyze based on what is on paper at this point. On paper, this looks like a hire that can work. Plus, let's be honest, anyone is better than Tomsula.
No comments:
Post a Comment