Saturday, July 27, 2013

Should the Pirates sign Brian Wilson?

After it was announced that Grilli will be out 4-8 weeks, the Pirates may need to get an extra bullpen arm. Of course they could go with internal options but some of those guys aren't proven and I don't know how they'd handle the pressure of a playoff race. That being said I think the Pirates should try to sign Brian Wilson. Even though he hasn't pitched in a long time, scouts say he's close to major league ready. The Pirates were one of the teams that scouted him at his audition. This was before they got word of how long Grilli will miss. They may be more interested now then they were before. Wilson has playoff experience.  In 2010 postseason he pitched 11 2/3 scoreless innings while closing out that World Series championship for the Giants. I like that experience. Wilson would also be very cost effective, even for the Pirates.

I would sign Brian Wilson. You can never have too much depth and experience and that's what Wilson would bring. He would also bring it at a very good cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment