Every year in baseball, crazy things that we don't expect to happen end up happening in baseball. There is no such thing as a ho-hum baseball season. Over the course of 162 and maybe even more, we see the unexpected happen. Today, I am going to come up with five bold predictions I have for the 2017 Pirates season.
1) Jung Ho Kang will have a 30 HR year:
When healthy, Jung Ho Kang is a massive power threat and has shown that ability in spurts. I think this is the year that Kang puts it all together at once and hits the 30 homer plateau, providing a massive boost for the Pirates lineup.
2) Pirates get an unexpected boost by a rookie pitcher:
Jameson Taillon and Chad Kuhl should be good in the rotation, but what if I told you they'd get a boost from another rookie and it isn't Glasnow? Yep, I think Trevor Williams specifically will give the Pirates a rotation boost at some point in the summer, giving the Pirates an edge they previously thought they wouldn't have.
3) Andrew McCutchen finishes top 10 in NL MVP voting:
This may be really bold after McCutchen just had his worst year ever and might look fried, but if I know McCutchen, I know he's more determined than ever to get right. He should be motivated by nearly being dealt away and playing in the WBC should help his issues of getting going late. I expect a big season for him.
4) Harrison will lose starting job at 2B:
Over the past few years, Josh Harrison has declined rapidly in offense but is still great defensively. The extension he was given is starting to look bad as he is expensive for what he is. Pirates may find a way to trade him, but if he stays on the Pirates, I think he loses everyday job at 2B by July, if not sooner. Hanson, Frazier, Moroff present younger options that could do similar things and are much cheaper if they are able to get rid of Harrison and his contract. Hanson may be the most likely to step into this role and do a nice job.
5) Pirates reach playoffs:
Many are writing off the Pirates already, as usual. However, if you look up and down the Pirates roster, it's actually a good one. Injuries killed them last year as they were without 3-4 key players at almost any given time and some players didn't perform to their previous marks. I'm shocked they won 78 considering all of it. They are way closer to the 98-win team in 2015 than the 78-win team a year ago, and the additions they've brought so far and the young guys providing a boost should get this team back to a position to reach the playoffs. Overall, the roster is good and not even finished yet, and it is very comparable to the rest of the teams that will go after the wildcard such as the Cardinals, Mets, Marlins, and Rockies. If mostly healthy, this Pirates team can very well compete and a big addition or two could certainly get them within sneezing distance of the Cubs. As of now with the current roster, I expect the Pirates to win about 86-88 games, which isn't far off from the projections and in many years is more than good enough for a wildcard spot.
These are the five bold predictions I have about the 2017 Pirates. I could very well be wrong on these. That's why they are bold. However, I have no doubt that we will see things we didn't expect to see in the 2017 season for the Pirates. It should be fun, and I am excited to watch it unfold.
No comments:
Post a Comment