Firstly, while some of these pitchers have been suspect at best, it's just a matter of time before they settle in and put up the numbers we expect from them. The biggest example of this is Jon Niese. His ERA isn't looking great right now, and many people are calling for his removal from the rotation right now. I think a little differently.
While his HR and walk numbers are higher than normal, his GB rate is about where it should be, which is a very good sign going forward. Also, the defense behind him has had problems at times. I know the guy needs to try to pick up his fielders, but he can't do it all the time. It becomes more difficult when the ball is being booted behind you almost all the time. I expect the defense behind him will improve and the homer numbers will go down towards his career average as well as his walks. I expect he will settle around the 3.75-4.05 ERA range, which is good in this front-loaded rotation (as soon as the youngsters arrive).
I also definitely expect Watson and Melancon to pitch better. We already are seeing signs of those two starting to get back into form. Same goes for Cole as well. I expect that these 3 won't have many troubles in a month or two and we will forget about their April struggles entirely.
Of course the main talked about topic is Taillon and Glasnow, for good reason because they are studs. They will, of course, be up in mid to late June when the Super 2 deadline is. Whether both will be up then is still a mystery. However, it is assumed that both will be placed immediately in the rotation. This means that two of the starters will have to go either to the pen or somewhere else. It's almost a certainty that Nicasio will wind up in the bullpen once one of them arrives. But how about the other? Many are saying Niese, but he's not leaving the rotation. His upcoming regressing to mean like I talked about earlier and his salary won't allow that. I think Locke is the candidate to leave the rotation (*Pirates fans throw a party in the streets*). Even though Locke is a quality 5 starter, a rotation with Cole, Liriano, Glasnow, and Taillon has no room for him. I don't see Locke as a bullpen option either. I think Locke is actually a very nice trade chip for the Pirates. Locke is an average 5 starter, which is actually rarer than you think it is in the MLB. Being a lefty also sweetens the pot. With cheap team control left for him, I could see the Pirates fetching at least a decent return for him if they want to trade him. If not, he certainly makes very good insurance and gives the Pirates a nice depth option if they needed it down the road.
It's all a trickle down affect for this team. Glasnow and Taillon arriving a producing will make this team better as a whole. It moves pieces around on this team that strengthens the rotation and the bullpen, which helps the team as a whole. However, this only works if one of these two guys actually performs, similarly to Cole in 2013. I think with these two outstanding pitchers, at least one of them will majorly help this year, if not both. The Pirates just need to get to late June in a decent playoff position and then we can watch them take off from July on. I'm excited about the future of this team, and the future is coming faster than we think!
No comments:
Post a Comment