I talked about the news about Kaepernick possibly wanting out of SF yesterday. While I think that is highly unlikely at this point, there is a lot of time before the April 1st deadline for Kaepernick's contract option. Even if he is retained through then, he could still get dealt somewhere else. I definitely think the situation is resolved before or during the draft. Kelly has refused to talk about Kap, which is unsettling. Everyone knows that this is a very fluid issue with a lot that can go many ways. Keeping everything close to the chest is what people on the inside have to do. If Kaepernick does go, and the 49ers are put in a situation where they need a new answer at QB, who would the QB be? I am going to look at a few options.
NFL QBs
1) Blaine Gabbert: Blaine Gabbert would be the obvious choice. Maybe too obvious, in fact. He did a half-decent job last year, but nothing that will send the city in a frenzy and sell tickets. Gabbert is just a steady QB that doesn't do anything flashy. Similar to Alex Smith (oh boy). His skills are in fact very similar to that of Smith. Not the best arm, but gets it done enough to be reliable. He can also get out of the pocket and run only when necessary, just like Smith. Do the 49ers really want Alex Smith 2.0? Who knows. The one advantage Gabbert has is that he is already on the roster. 49ers wouldn't have to waste anything in order to have him as the QB.
2) Robert Griffin III: Is this idea crazy? Maybe not. It is almost certain that RGIII will not return to Washington. Cousins looks like the guy over there, and Griffin looks to be getting a fresh start somewhere. Griffin already comes packaged as a guy that has had recent success, just like Kap, and the ability to run an offense similarly to Kelly. His skills could work in a Kelly offense very well.
3) Johnny Manziel: Let's get this over with. I will never endorse anything Manziel-related. It looks almost certain that he will be out of Cleveland and find a new destination. There is no denying that he is a talented QB. He just can't figure it out off the field, and there is nothing to prove he ever will. Not wanted.
4) Sam Bradford: Bradford worked with Kelly last season, and now many are speculating that the partnership could continue. Though, Bradford is asking for a ton of money for overall mediocre play through his career, the 49ers could take the cap hit if they really wanted to. The upside would be that he has experience in Kelly's offense, which could help the whole team get adapted to it better. He could also improve as a QB with more experience in the system.
Draft QBs
1) Jared Goff: Goff looks destined to replace whoever the actual QB is in Cleveland. He will likely be taken well before the 49ers get any sort of shot at him. I personally think Goff is overrated. Besides. I also don't think he is a fit anyways.
2) Paxton Lynch: Lynch has a lot of Kaepernick in him. He has almost the same exact tools. If the 49ers take a QB in the first round, I think it would be this guy.
3) Connor Cook: I am actually very high on Cook. He can do a lot of things well even though nothing about him stands out. He is very similar to Sparty's last QB in that regard, Kirk Cousins. If the 49ers want a consistent QB like that, Connor Cook is the guy.
4) Dak Prescott: Dak Prescott enjoyed a lot of good days at Mississippi State, bringing the program back to life. However, he has fallen off a little bit since not declaring for the draft after his junior year when he looked like a sure top pick. However, he was recently named the Senior Bowl's most outstanding player. He could very well be there for the 49ers in the second round, but many are not sure where he will be taken. His place in the draft in a wildcard at this point. Much less sure than it was just a year ago. He could certainly fit Kelly's system while possibly being a steal in the second round.
Those are 8 options, 4 in the draft and 4 current NFL QBs that could be options to replace Kap, if he leaves for another destination. Some of the options I like, some I love, but there are also some I am not too fond of. We will see how the situation plays out in the near future.
No comments:
Post a Comment