Saturday, July 18, 2015

What players would be the best fits for Pirates as trade deadline looms

     As the trade deadline approaches, GMs will be scrambling to help their clubs any way they can. Whether if it's trading to help them contend now, contend later, or a balance. The Pirates sit in the balance category, as a lot of teams do. However, I do think Huntington will make a trade that'll help within the next two weeks. He's proven he can trusted. That being said, which players would be the best fit to help this team continue to be one of the best teams in the league.

     The Pirates have been linked and even spoken to the Phillies about a couple players, specifically outfielders Ben Revere and Jeff Francouer. I like Ben Revere, and he would fix the leadoff spot problems. I like the idea at first glance, but after thinking about it, it wouldn't work. It would send the wrong message to Polanco. Francouer, however, would be good. He's having his best season in quite sometime, and he can platoon greatly with Polanco. 

     Staying in the NL East, Pirates reportedly scouted Dan Haren of the Marlins at least once. Haren's inability to pitch as hard as he used to scares me. He is having a good year and could help at a cheap rate, though. 

     Pirates scouted Buchholz, but now he's on the DL. I didn't think that would've gone anywhere anyways. 

     Pirates also checked out some A's players. Speculation would say Kazmir, Clippard, Zobrist, and possibly Reddick. Pirates didn't get a great look at Kazmir that day because he was hurt in the 3rd. He didn't need a DL trip, however. That injury history keeps me skeptical about him. Now, Clippard would look great in the bullpen pitching late in games with Watson and Melancon. Did somebody say 6 inning baseball games? Next, I love Zobrist and always have. He plays everywhere in the field. This is the second straight year the Bucs have been connected to him. He can patch up any problem that would come up, like Harrison did last year. Now as for Reddick, I like him, but again, what message does that send Polanco?

     Pirates have reportedly checked in on Diamondbacks pitchers Addison Reed and Jeremy Hellickson. This makes sense since the Pirates would like to get rotation depth and another bullpen arm. Reed has been nasty in the past but not as great this season. Not exactly the player I'd bring in during a pennant race. Remember when they brought in Axford last year? Hellickson is the same way. Has shown signs of being good but not so much this year. 

     Those are the main players the team has been connected to. There are always players that we never hear about that teams are interested in.

     Other players that would make sense: Harang, Ruf, Prado, Baker, Rosario, K. Johnson, C. Johnson, Benoit, Kennedy, Moss, Santana, DeJesus, Parra, Lind, Segura, A. Ramirez, Leake 

-Jared Lankes 

Note: If you have any other suggestions on available players that would fit Pirates or go over something I may have missed, tweet me it @JaredLankes or email jrodjl5@gmail.com and I'll answer as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment