Sunday, April 2, 2017

2017 MLB predictions

As we embark on what should be another intense, heart-threnching, and exciting MLB season, everyone is lining up to take their shot at predicting just which teams will make the playoffs and eventually win the World Series. Not surprisingly, I am going to take a shot at this too. 

Now, I will start in the AL then shift to the NL after that. I will go division by division and then at the end of all of that, go through the playoffs. 

AL East:
Red Sox
Blue Jays
Rays
Orioles
Yankees 

Synopsis: To nobody's surprise, I have the Red Sox winning this division. That rotation is top notch and the offense isn't bad either. Red Sox will run away with it, in my opinion. What might be more shocking to some is the Rays in 3rd and the Yankees in last. Firstly the Rays; I like that rotation led by Chris Archer and Jake Odorizzi. Alex Cobb could shape back into form and young Blake Snell and incoming Jose De Leon will be special. As for the Yankees, I just don't think 2017 is their year. Yankees are primed for big things in 2018 and beyond, but it will take some growing pains to get there. 

AL Central
Indians
Twins 
Royals
Tigers
White Sox

Synopsis: Again, to nobody's surprise, I have the Indians running away with this division. Like Boston, the rotation and offense will carry them. However, the Indians bullpen, led by Andrew Miller, is dominant too. More surprising is the Twins in second, I must say. The Twins were projected to be good last year but ended up being pretty awful. However, I think the Twins will have some bounce back players that'll help them. My bold prediction here is that Byung Ho Park breaks out a bit. Overall, Royals and Tigers will be average while the White Sox continue to tank, eventually leading to round two of unloading, including Quintana being shipped elsewhere. 

AL West
Astros
Rangers
Mariners
A's
Angels 

Synopsis: This is the division where I have three playoff teams. I believe the Astros added enough offense to help cover their pitching that I think exceeds most expectations and turns out okay (I also see them grabbing Quintana and a reliever or two in July to push them). As for the Rangers, they have pitching issues, and I think that kills them somewhat. They get through with their offense and a healthy Yu Darvish to go with Cole Hamels. Mariners may also have pitching troubles, but I think it's okay in the AL West. The key for them is to get Felix Hernandez right. But I like what Dipoto has done to get this group to a contending position. As for the A's and Angels, they'll be bad (Angels especially). 

NL East
Mets
Nationals
The 
Marlins
Braves
Phillies 

Synopsis: I love the Mets rotation. The problem with them is staying healthy. But any rotation led by Syndergaad and deGrom is in good shape no matter what. Getting a healthy Matz, a healthy Wheeler, and a bounce back from Harvey would be incredible for them. Even if it doesn't all pan out, Gsellman is a solid option for them. As for the Nats, I like a lot about them but that bullpen is a major question. Another concern will be Strasburg's health as they lost a lot of starting depth by trading away Giolito and Lopez. Marlins will be average at best while the Braves show some improvement, and the Phillies only show marginal improvement or decline. 

NL Central 
Cubs
Pirates
Cardinals
Reds
Brewers

Synopsis: Another no shocker as I have the Cubs winning this division with ease. I see this division overall being weaker than we are used to seeing. Pirates and Cards tread water for much of the year, finishing with identical records but missing the postseason. I think the Reds show some improvement but not much this season. Brewers have an awful year but it will pay off later as their minor leagues look really strong. 

NL West
Dodgers 
Giants
Rockies
Diamondbacks 
Padres 

Synopsis: Dodgers will, once again, win the NL West. I like their chances with the best of the best out there in Clayton Kershaw. The rest of the rotation could be an issue, but they have so many arms that I think they'll cover for whatever they need. Rich Hill continuing his re-emergence is key for them though. Another key for them will be Yasiel Puig. Puig getting back to being a very good player would help an inconsistent Dodgers' lineup. Giants will have a great team again led by a great rotation with Bumgarner and Cueto front lining it. Offensive inconsistencies keep the Giants out of a division title and into the wildcard again. Rockies show good improvement after a big offseason but miss out on the playoffs while the Diamondbacks and Padres have a rough go of it.   

Now for my playoff predictions. 

AL WC:
Rangers over Mariners

ALDS
Red Sox over Rangers in 3
Indians over Astros in 4

ALCS
Red Sox over Indians in 7

NL WC
Giants over Nationals

NLDS
Cubs over Giants in 5
Mets over Dodgers in 5

NLCS
Cubs over Mets in 6

World Series
Red Sox over Cubs in 6

Synopsis: Yes, I have the Red Sox winning it all this year. As I previously mentioned, that rotation is something else, and every facet of their team is elite. I think they have more than enough to win it all this season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment