Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Pirates Preview: Starting Pitching

While we do not yet know who the Pirates' 5th starter will be, we do know who the top 4 guys in the rotation will be. Here, I will preview these four and give my thoughts on them. I will also give my thoughts on the race for the 5th starter spot as well as who I think will get that nod. 

1) Gerrit Cole: Cole missed most of 2016 with various issues. Not only did he not have a proper spring training last year, but he was never able to get in a groove when he finally got on the field because he just got hurt again. This season appears way different. He has had a proper and full spring training and appears healthy as he can possibly get. One cannot underestimate how important that is for a player, especially a pitcher that missed much of their previous season. I get the sense that we may see a more mature Gerrit Cole this year and one that may be in the best shape he'll be. I'm excited to see what Gerrit Cole is able to do, as I think he will return close to his 2015 ace form. 

2) Jameson Taillon: Jameson Taillon burst onto the scene in 2016 after a long line of injury frustration. The former second overall pick looked just like that last season when he was bestowed the opportunity to give the big club a boost, and that was just what he did. He is expected to be just as good, if not better, this season. The key for Taillon is staying healthy, and I think the Pirates will monitor him very closely and not put him in harm's way. Henceforth, his innings threshold will be an intriguing aspect to keep an eye on this year. 

3) Chad Kuhl: Kuhl, similarly to Taillon, gave the Pirates a boost as a first-timer in the MLB in 2016, showing up to the scene to beat Kershaw in his first MLB start even. Kuhl showed enough to cement himself in the rotation in 2017, at least to begin the year. Now, he will enter his first full MLB season with a lot to prove. While many, including yours truly, are skeptical if he's a starter or an eventual reliever, there's no doubt he's earned this spot and is capable of being an otherwise solid rotation piece. 

4) Ivan Nova: Ivan Nova was acquired in August of 2016 by the Pirates. He pitched very well, and both sides were so impressed by each other that they were able to come to an agreement that keeps Nova around for 3 more years (so get used to him Pirates fans).

Nova will receive the distinct honor of pitching the Pirates home opener this season on Friday, April 7th against the Braves (I'll be there!). Now, I don't expect to see the numbers Nova put up in the latter part of last season with the Pirates happen once again, but I think he will affirm that he is a really good middle-rotation starter. As an aside, everyone that thinks baseball games are too long will love how quickly and efficiently Nova works. 

5) Ultimately, I think the 5th starter spot will go to Drew Hutchison, based solely on experience and circumstance. Pirates already have two rookies in the rotation and their "veteran" ace Gerrit Cole is still only 26. However, Drew Hutchison is also 26 but has more experience under his belt and in a rugged AL East from his Blue Jays days. Given this and the fact that he's making $2M+, which Pirates may not pay for a AAA player, more than likely adds up to Drew Hutchison in the rotation, whether we like it or not. That being said, it'd be interesting to see if Searage can work his magic again with a guy like this who still has loads of potential and is relatively young. 

Overall, the Pirates rotation won't turn heads, nor do they have to. There are guys in the rotation that simply can get the job done. While there are question marks, that's normal for any team to have at the outset of the season. I'm not as worried about the Pirates rotation as many seem to be. Gerrit Cole, in my opinion, will be the key though. He has to step up and act and pitch like a staff ace that the rest of the guys can follow. If he does that, this rotation has potential to be really good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment