Former Kansas City Royals star closer Greg Holland is set to have a showcase here very soon after missing a little over a year. For Holland, this showcase is very important as he tries to prove to MLB teams that he still has what it takes to pitch in the MLB. If he looks good, I can imagine teams flocking around for his services. So today, I will discuss whether or not the Pirates could potentially be one of those teams.
Firstly, let's look at Greg Holland's track record. The former closer has had some very stellar years and has racked up some elite numbers, pitching to a 2.42 ERA and 145 saves, which includes his two All-Star years in 2013 and 2014 where he racked up 47 and 46 saves respectively. All these numbers really pop off the page. However, there is always mystery surrounding any pitcher that comes back after missing a whole year and then some.
Next, what makes Holland such an intriguing pick-up is that he would likely come cheaper than the other top relievers on the market. I could see a Neftali Feliz-type deal from last offseason for the right-hander. Despite missing all the time that he did, I believe a deal like I just mentioned could potentially be a bargain. That kind of deal would also ensure that the risk taken on in it isn't too large, and we all know that the Pirates can't afford to miss with big deals.
In the end, a relatively cheap one-year deal for Holland would be a good move for the Pirates, in my opinion. Holland has the stuff to bounce back from his injury and really give a team what they need. For the Pirates, a 7th/8th inning righty to balance out Bastardo, Rivero, and Watson (all lefties) is just what the Pirates need in the bullpen, and Holland could certainly provide it. Also, I just feel that Holland seems like the kind of reliever the Pirates would pick up. Former big-time closer with a great arm that needs a bounce back year and will come cheaper because of it. Sounds a lot like Feliz, granted different circumstances, but the comparison still fits.
If the Pirates can land Holland, I think the bullpen would have a much nicer look to it! Going Bastardo, Rivero, Holland, and Watson in the bullpen would give the Pirates a good chance to win games when leading after 5 or 6 innings, which has become big in the MLB. So, I would welcome a signing of Greg Holland into the black and gold family (or should I say Famalee). In fact, Holland might be at the top, or at least towards the top, of the list of free agent relievers I would like to see the Pirates get. I believe he'd fit right into a bullpen that is full of lefties and needs a righty like Holland to fill the need they have there.
No comments:
Post a Comment