Monday, May 16, 2016

Alen Hanson set to join the Pirates today

     As it was reported yesterday, Alen Hanson is set to join the Pirates as Starling Marte is going on Paternity leave for the birth of his second child (if they can top the name Smerling I'll be impressed). Marte is expected to go on leave today as the Pirates go from facing baseball's best team in the Cubs to facing the worst the league has to offer with the Braves. It is also expected that at one point or another that Hanson will make his MLB debut in the time that he is around. The way they intend to use him is unknown to this point, however.

     Alen Hanson has flipped all over the diamond, learning many positions over his minor league career. He's known as a SS, but he has been working in the OF lately after talking some 3B reps before the Pirates acquired Aramis Ramirez last July. Alen Hanson's position flexibility has stemmed from the fact that his defense at the SS position has always been lackluster at best. The Pirates may feel that SS is too much of a leverage position in the majors for him. Nobody knows if he can cut it in the bigs at the SS position even though he's been working hard. Despite all this, his bat is undeniable as he has always been a great hitter. His ability to hit is what landed him as one of the top prospects in the league just a few seasons ago. Lately, he's been kind of fading away in the top prospect department, but he is still a very talented player capable of doing good things in the MLB. 

     I don't know if the Pirates would let him play OF in this mini stint he will have because of limited AAA work there and the fact that Sean Rodriguez and Matt Joyce are better OFs overall and the Pirates don't face uncertainty with them at this time. Another idea was Jhay in the OF and Hanson at 2B but I don't think that'll happen. I think the Pirates are okay with Harrison sticking at 2B where he has gotten quite comfortable. I don't think the Pirates will mess with that unless something drastic happens. 

     All in all, it's a mystery how Hanson will be used in this stint. A part of me wants to see him start at least once but another part of me thinks he won't. I'm excited about Alen Hanson, but I don't think he will make a big impact this time around the MLB. 

No comments:

Post a Comment